Sunday, February 27, 2011

Just pick it up and throw it!

The 2011 baseball season is one week old, and I have learned a few things.

The old adage in baseball is that pitching and defense win games. Well not all of them.

If you are confused, so am I. We have won 3 of our 4 games so far and we can't play catch. Just pick up a ground ball and throw it accurately across the diamond. Sounds easy.

But in our first 4 games, my team has made 24 errors.

24 ERRORS.

That is a whole season's worth in 2003 and 2005. This could be the toughest season ever for our pitching staff. They will have to get extra outs and make quality pitches with plenty of base runners.

In the first 4 games the pitchers have been outstanding, pulling us out of many jams. Our hitting has allowed us to win games.

But come on guys. 24 ERRORS?

All your life you play ball, some kind of ball. Someone throws it to you and you catch it. Then you throw it back to them. Pretty simple stuff. Unless you are a infielder this year.

We are young and will get better. Soon I hope. We play some of the best teams in Louisiana soon, and we better get our act together. We cannot expect to score 10 runs a game, and need them all to win. But we are 3-1 and on a 3 game win streak. Enough said.

I always go watch games and my favorite saying is: "I go to the park to see things I've never seen before." This year I am seeing that at my own games.

No comments:

Post a Comment