Sunday, March 27, 2011

WOW what a ride

I have now have had a few people question why I would want to write this blog. Mainly, I love having a place to express my feelings and thoughts on the game. Maybe my wife doesn't need to make it so public, but if you know me you will check in once in a while.

This week we began district play. We opened 2-1 with a loss to Dutchtown and wins against Hahnville and East St John. Like most high school games we could have won the Dutchtown game. But I guess we could have lost the other games too!

We beat our big rival Hahnville this week 9-5. It is the 10th straight win for the Wildcats over the Tigers. I guess I should "knock on wood," but I know this streak will not last forever. In baseball no one dominates for long, and the best team doesn't always win. But it's been fun!

The biggest news of the week happened off the field, when a former player of ours sat down at his computer like I am now. Kurt McCune, a former Wildcat and current LSU pitching star, sat down to write about a friend of his who had greatly affected his life. WOW, what a story. And he showed great character.

I had my players read it before the Hahnville game on Thursday, and they were touched. Kurt wrote about his friend and teammate who was seriously injured in a head on collision and may never play baseball again. Kurt talked about his change of perception about what is really important. Life, health and happiness trumps baseball, even when you are exceeding your dream. He talked about how lucky he felt to be able to play this game. Then the very next day he went out and pitched his very first complete game.

Kurt is pitching better than anyone expected, perhaps the biggest surprise in LSU's young season. He is their early season MVP, and he keeps it all in order by remembering his struggling friend. It's a nice story from a fine young man. I am proud to say he is a "Wildcat".

This week gets no easier for us. We finish the first round of district play this week and start a two game set with Dutchtown. If I am correct we will be playing those two games for the district lead and they will be setting themselves up for the title. But it is a long season and lots of things can happen. Check in once in a while and I'll try to keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment