Sunday, July 22, 2012

Where have I been? Don't ask. I let an administrator talk me out of writing. Well here I go again....

This season has been as demanding as any I have experienced. The season began with the introduction of BBCOR bats. The end of power hitting.

There are teams in our area that were known for their hitting. As one coach said, "Just take a hundred points off your average."

 Finding runs and players that didn't use it as an excuse were hard to find. Pitching, defense and bunting became a way of life.We finished 17-17 and made the playoffs, but that is a poor year for Destrehan High School (at least since I arrived here}.

So much for prep.

This blog post is about American Legion and the maturing of a ball club. How do you convince young players to not be selfish and give yourself up for your teammates? Teenagers are the most selfish people in the world,. Me me me. The task is huge, but when accomplished it is fun to watch. We are there as a team.

The time spent at the park is fun, enjoyable and extremely rewarding. I credit a young coach for making this happen. Chris Mire has joined our program and is relentless in instructing the players. Sometimes I believe he is too hard, but the results speak volumes. The players don't always like him, and sometimes I think he is going to give up. He will not and they haven't and the result is a  22-11 record and a trip to the State Tournament this weekend.

I am enjoying the ride and smoothing out the rough spots, while enjoying the maturing process for both Chris and our players.What ever happens this weekend, it will not tarnish the success that this group has enjoyed this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment