Sunday, July 10, 2011

Coach can I play now?

The prep season was interesting as the season ended with a two game playoff run. We lost to Jesuit and they continued on to win the 5A State Championship, a great accomplishment. We were six outs from knocking them off in the regional , leading 7-4, in the sixth.

Why am I not happy? We were not supposed to be good, said my biggest critic. "You will be lucky to win ten games this year" said my own principal. We were 18-15 and into the playoffs, finishing 2nd in district.

Well, the summer will be more fun right? Well, it never is.

"It's too hot. It's too humid. You can't expect the kids to play in this weather," say some parents.

I use the summer to evaluate next year's team. A few seniors stay but never play well. The graduating seniors must have offers to play college baseball in order to play for us in the summer.

This year I had found a place for them to prepare for their college careers, playing with and against college talent. A chance to play 50 games, for free. Traveling to play in 5 states and participate in 8 tournaments. Their answer was "No thanks, we just want to play with you."

Maybe I should feel honored. Fifteen more games with us. Well now I am worried about their commitment to their careers. I wish them well, I do. I hope they're not home too soon.

We played the summer Legion program. Sometimes we were good. We were very young at times with three freshman and three sophomores on the field together. Most of the time we were OK. We hit and didn't pitch, or pitched and didn't hit. Some players started out hot and cooled, and some brought up low averages with late season streaks.

Overall we played better down the stretch and there are many positives going into next year. Some players made their stock rise and some fell off the radar. We had some players come out of nowhere, and some take their place.

Well everyone has about six months to grow and get stronger. Some will and some will disappear. The competition starts now in the weight room, only some players don't know it.

When January arrives and we hit the field, everyone's hopes will be high. The memory of the 2011 prep and summer season will have faded or been erased in everyone's mind but mine. It's my job. And as I reward those who worked harder and got stronger and better, the others will just transfer the blame to me. I guess I should have coached them better. After all they were Triple A travel ball stars.

This gets harder each year. Just ask the high school coaches in Louisiana. I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment