Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Camp Life with the Coach

We are halfway through our summer baseball camp for Destrehan Wildcat hopefuls. There are 65 players ranging from 8 years old (well, one is 7) through 14 year olds. They are learning everything from the proper way to hold and throw a ball to the proper swing while letting the ball get deep. They are enjoying base running and sliding and, of course, learning how to spit.

The spitting is becoming an art form in baseball and it's not lost on these young hopefuls. They say the major league player's name and then spit like them. "Watch, watch Robinson Cano," then a spit and a swing. They have not invented this game, as every player that comes through my program will imitate some major league player. Usually the swing or throwing motion, not the spit.

We have ample space to hold a summer baseball camp. We have a full size field, a softball field and a turfed football field. We have the use of two gyms and a hitting facility with three drop down cages. We have 7 adult coaches and 40 high school players to help demonstrate. My players love the camp, and get to know the kids and remember them when were done. It is a mutual love and we allow the campers to come to our summer games for free (mom and dad get to pay).

I tell people who ask that there will be excellent teams at Destrehan after I retire. I know I have been watching this process for years, evaluating talent in our community for 12 years. I put a Destrehan Baseball shirt on every camper and start talking about "the Destrehan Way" when they are small. We don't lose players to private schools because they can't wait to be a DHS Wildcat. I can't wait to watch them myself. I love DHS Baseball!

No comments:

Post a Comment